Re: [gnugo-devel] Bugreport

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Bugreport
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:01:49 +0100

Joseph Piché wrote:
Hi GNU Folks.
 My Computer say's to me i should eMail you this Bug, this is the terminal
 Output:
 NEWGAME from peer

 ***assertion failure:
 board.c:942 - pos == PASS_MOVE || board[pos] == EMPTY near E8***

   A B C D E F G H J K
 10 X . . . . . . . . . 10
  9 . . . . . . . . . . 9
  8 . . + . O O . + . . 8
  7 . . . . . X O . . . 7
  6 . . . . . X . . . . 6
  5 . . . . . . . . . . 5
  4 . . . . . . . . . . 4
  3 . . + . . . . + . . 3
  2 . . . . . . . . . . 2     WHITE (O) has captured 0 stones
  1 . . . . . . . . . . 1     BLACK (X) has captured 0 stones
   A B C D E F G H J K
 (;GM[1]FF[4]SZ[10]KM[5.5]HA[0]GN[GNU Go 3.7.10 stepped on a bug]
 ;B[fe];W[gd];B[aa];W[ec];B[fd];W[fc]
 )
 gnugo 3.7.10 (seed 1205610383): You stepped on a bug.
 Please mail this message, including the debug output above, to address@hidden

 gmp device hung up!

 I have only experienced this Bug one Time, when i tested gnugo play agains
 gnugo.

This was a number of days ago, but I'm not sure if anyone looked at this.

Testing this against CVS, I have to say this probably isn't a bug; I
have not been able to reproduce it.

Should this report be discarded?

The assertion failure occurs in play_move() when trying to play at the occupied point E8. Apparently GMP mode is involved so the call to play_move() must be from interface/play_gmp.c. I'm doubtful this is the fault of GNU Go. The position in the diagram does not look like a GNU Go vs GNU Go game (see A10) and if GNU Go generated moves on occupied points this wouldn't be the only report. Moreover the "NEWGAME from peer" and "gmp device hung up!" messages are not from GNU Go, so some other piece of software must be involved.

Anyway, if anything should be done about this I would suggest doing some sanity checking before calling play_move() from play_gmp.c and fail more gracefully.

/Gunnar