Re: [gnugo-devel] tournament at US Go Congress - SlugGo needs permission

From: David Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] tournament at US Go Congress - SlugGo needs permission
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:00:17 -0700

On 15, Jun 2008, at 5:25 AM, address@hidden wrote:

There will be a computer Go tournament at the US Go Congress in
Portland Oregon. I hope that at least one GNU Go primary author will
be at the Congress and will enter GNU Go in the tournament.

Unfortunately I can't go since I'll be in Scotland for
a workshop. Is anyone entering GNU Go?

My foundation (HSRF) has offered $1,000 in prize money and another
donor has added $250. Tournament rules require derivative programs
like SlugGo to obtain the explicit permission of the original authors
of any included code. I do not believe that the GPL is sufficient.
This is similar to, but slightly less restrictive than, the rules for
the Formal division of the KGS monthly tournaments. The KGS rules are
that derivative programs and the original program cannot both be
entered in the Formal division of the same monthly tournament. I am
asking for such permission from you so that I can enter SlugGo at the
Go Congress.

I think we need to hear from Gunnar but I don't see anything
wrong with SlugGo playing. Do you intend to drive a lot of
equipment up to Portland?

Dan

Yes, if I get approval then I plan to drive a cluster up to Portland.

Cheers,
David