[gnugo-devel] Hoping to use GnuGo

From: Hugo Hudson
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Hoping to use GnuGo
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:04:27 +0100

Hi!  I'm currently developing a Go interface for mobile phones, which
at present allows one to play on IGS, edit games, replay pro games,
guess games, solve life and death puzzles and a few other things.  I
would really like to include a good Go engine too.  I've written my
own Monte-Carlo go engine as a plug-in engine which is going pretty
well, but I remembered that I used to regularly play against GnuGo
using GoSuite - http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoSuite - when I had a Windows
Mobile phone.

Would it be possible to include the GnuGo engine in my application in
a similar way to how the folks at GoSuite did?  I would like to strip
the engine down quite a lot - I don't need the vast majority of the
code but would rather have a very lightweight library with a simple
function to get the best move for a given game position.  I've locally
made such changes to the GnuGo code, and have been trying to work out
if you would find it valuable if I put together a very lightweight
version of the cutting-edge GnuGo code suitable for including in
mobile phone applications?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Hugo