Re: [Gnumed-devel] Normcurves, again

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Normcurves, again
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:35:59 +0200

> pardon my ignorance but how to I get these two files to 'run' or do something
> so I can comment?
They are mainly intended to serve as structured storage. The
background is this:

GNUmed has the requirement of at least one accessible database
server (PostgreSQL). We store and load data from/within this
database.

Christof is thinking that in some offices there may not be a
server or if there is there may not be a Linux server
worthy^H^H^H^Hcapable of safely running PostgreSQL. Therefor
he wants to store reference data in XML files.

This all relates to the possibility of getting GNUmed into
pediatricians' offices by way of offering them a convenient
frontend for growth chart calculations and in turn providing
the University of Leipzig with a "better" way of receiving
review requests for suspected growth abnormalities (namely
electronically as opposed to treeware).

Christof is very capable of providing quality input as for the
content and the scientific algorithms in this area. We have to
find a way to make the server()ed GNUmed play nice with
(possibly necessary) local file storage of reference data if
we want to tap into his expertise.

Ian,
any chance of reasonably safely running PostgreSQL on a local
Windows if its purpose is expressedly limited to temporary
patient name storage and reference data storage ?

Another possibility would be to serve out reference data over
the internet but the situation for cheap broadband internet access
is not the best here.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net