[Gnumed-devel] Text User Interface - wxWindows - Turbo Vision

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Text User Interface - wxWindows - Turbo Vision
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:13:24 +0100

Hi all,

I have been looking around for a viable option for a text mode
client. The ideal situation would be if wxWindows (wxPython)
supported bindings for text mode widget library. It does - for
curses - but that's neither in a working state nor does curses
offer many widgets such that most would have to be written in
wxWindows natively anyways.

I see two options that would make sense:

1) Port wxWindows to Turbo Vision. TV is an excellent text mode
widget library from Borland. Some people may remember it from
back in the days. I have contacted to person who ported TV to
Linux and he isn't aware of any wxWindows - TV portage.

2) Write a wxUniversal binding for ncurses. To my
understanding wxUniversal already offers widgets natively
implemented in wxWindows and uses the screen primitives of the
underlying (graphics) library. It currently has bindings for
MGL and thus runs under DOS, too.

Anyone on this list interested in trying to coordinate an
effort to achieve either of the two goals ?

Of course, we could also use a direct Python-to-curses binding
but that would deprive us of all the good work already gone
into the current client...

Regards,
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net