[Gnumed-devel] My $0.02 worth on OSCAR McMaster

From: Michael Bonert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] My $0.02 worth on OSCAR McMaster
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:58:22 -0500 (EST)

When I looked at it last (1-2 months ago ... I tried the on-line demo --
link from http://67.69.12.117:8080/oscarResource/) I couldn't help think
they made one good decision: they chose the GPL... whereas I now wonder if
they aren't violating it in spirit (based on what sjtan wrote).  I think
it is great that the project is happening... and in my backyard.  However,
I think they choose the wrong back-end database and didn't do a good job
on the GUI; I couldn't believe the number of pop-ups they use.

Interesting is they got funding from my provincial government... which
actually is quite pro-business and IMHO not very forward thinking.
http://www.openhealth.com/en/press/20apr01.html -- stjan: take a look...
it says "a rural practice in South Australia" is already using
it.  To everyone else: Is this someone in our group?

Tangentially related to this is a reference to free software in the
Canadian Medical Association Journal -- CMAJ
2001;165(6);811...
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/165/6/811?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=open-source&searchid=1048610919288_1681&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=165&issue=6&journalcode=cmaj
... this is useful if you want to lobby some government about free
software... it also mentions OSCAR McMaster (though not by name).

The following has a little background on Dr. Chan... if you're curious:
http://www.itacontario.com/healthcare/2001/01speakers.htm
(He is an electrical engineer that at some point decided to go into
medicine.)

I think OSCARMcMaster is useful in two ways:
(1) It shows other governments some countries are funding free software
projects... perhaps could be used to encourage the German or Australian
government to help us out. :)

(2) Should inspire us to work harder... to get the code out there.  (I
think gnumed made the better technical choices and would cast a big shadow
over OSCARMcMaster if it were further along.)

Michael