Re: [Gnumed-devel] XML forms

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] XML forms
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:24:11 +0200

> In that case, you might as well do the whole UI as XML: interesting,
> but IMHO should be post-1.0
No, I am not thinking in terms of defining the interrelations
of a rich widget set in XML. I don't understand why if one
thing seems to be a natural fit for something it ought be be
applied to other things that seem similar. XUL showed that that
road is slow, IIRC.

> We already have empty UI widgets for all the core modules
For the few essential forms (say, prescription, referral)
this will do well but not for the myriad other forms that are
bound to happen to us. For those we need a way of describing
them (XML?), displaying and accepting input into them and
printing them. The displaying and accepting input part need
not be all too sophisticated. I am using a forms engine daily
that maps forms to a text user interface, accepts a few
restricted field types only (free text, number and date, mainly) has
some logic attached to the fields via their definition and
prints out via text mode on the printer. That works extremely
well.

But for the roadmap we can stick to just
prescription/referrals. For just *that* we don't even need
the forms engine, initially.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net