Re: [Gnumed-devel] lack of static (compile time checking) in python.

From: Les Ferguson
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lack of static (compile time checking) in python.
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:02:28 +1200

On Monday 28 July 2003 20:33, s j tan wrote:
> It would be nice for a tool for python that does:
>             1. assisted text input ( whatever that’s called) , i.e.
> recognizes library method names , does some syntax checking, in an IDE.
>
> Besides having to give up slack programming habits,  is there an easier
> way to deal with pythons non-compiling non-type checking philosophy?

I'm still fairly new on Python, but I have installed the latest
Boa-Constructor IDE, and it has what I would call the beginnings of
code-completion - you can type a dot after a class name then pop up a
select-list of things belonging to that class (it may do more I haven't
really looked into it).  The syntax coloring helps a little in
double-checking your code as you go also.

On the tools side, it appears to hook in several useful things, profiling your
code and checking its validity with PyChecker, which has a promising
description page but I have not used it at all yet, this sounds like what you
want.

Does anybody use Boa-Constructor for their regular Python IDE, or just for
designing forms ?  Is it worth the effort, or should one just keep an eye on
it as a project-in-development still ?

--
Les Ferguson