[Gnumed-devel] FromGTK Developers LIst: Row height sizes in GTK wigits w

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] FromGTK Developers LIst: Row height sizes in GTK wigits with font changes
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:26:10 +1000

Can someone on the list who is technical decipher this. I posted to the GTK
developers list regarding the fonts/borders.

Richard

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 03:26, richard terry wrote:
> 1)Anomaly in space taken by rows in list boxes with different font sizes.
> in GTK as the font size decreases, the row size seems not to proportionally
> decrease, leading to loss of valuable screen real estate. This is best
> illustrated in the accompanying png file (font_creep_wxPtyhonLists.png)
> where I have set roughly the same font in a listbox on wxPython(on the
> left) and on QT designer (on the right). As you will see  one can fit more
> items in the qt list box compared to the GTK one, and quite a lot of line
> space is left blank above the text in GTK.

From your screenshots, it looks like you are using GtkCList and the
obsolete X font backend to GTK+. It's really pretty hard for us to
give an answer for those circumstances - my best guess is that
for some reason GTK+ is using a fontset where some of the fonts aren't
available in small bitmap sizes.

> 2)The second ongoing  problem is that it seems not possible, despite the
> flags present, to have borderless controls (not 3D) controls. Whilst this
> may seem petty having a 3d border round the text boxes and sometimes other
> controls can interfere in some cases with design, and again means
> ultimately (I know this seems petty) less room on the screen, when space is
> at a premium

You are going to have to be more specific here. As far as we know,
it's quite possible to have a GTK+ theme with 1 pixel or even 0
pixel borders, and for the theme to draw the borders however it likes.

And there is a specific call to make GtkEntry borderless without
any resort to the theming system.

Regards,
                                        Owen