Re: [Gnumed-devel] FW: [GPCG] The Importance of Being OSCAR (Was winter

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] FW: [GPCG] The Importance of Being OSCAR (Was winter holiday)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:07:28 +1000

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:59, David Guest wrote:
> >I was getting the impression that java programs can be open sourced
> >But not GPL.
>
> Sounds like one for Brendan or Tim, Syan.

You can license any of your code under the GPL, regardless of the language
used.

The objection against Java is similar to VB: it is still a proprietary
language, albeit a rather open and portable one. While there are free
implementations of it available (free as in freedom, not cost), they are not
considered as equal to SUN's implementation yet, and SUN will keep preventing
them from becoming equals.

Horst