[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed / Abiword connector

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed / Abiword connector
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:34:23 +0200

Hi all ,

> If you can clearly define what your letter of refernce is meant to look
> like it will be straight forward to use AbiWord-2.0 to generate it.
>
> Since you want a cross-platform application it may be easiest to generate
> an abiword format XML file from your data then just spawn abiword with the
> text as input ready for a final typing by the doctor.
Sounds good

> The AbiWord XML file format is quite straight forward and generating it
> would be not much different from the direct manipulations you'd need to
> make if you were to directly insert it into AbiWord.

That is what I had hoped.

> I suggest the way to procede is to simply use AbiWord to type up how you
> want your referal to look (marking the places where you want to place
> data) then send it to us. We may even be able to use our mail-merge
> feature to make the job even easier on us.

It is important to me to hear what is possible and what is not.
I could easily send you an example letter. But before we proceed I have some
more questions.

Unforunately it is not just generating the letter an sending it off. What we
are talking about here should develop into some sort of framework.

Lets just say we feed some text to a template and fill it either automatically
or manually. What happens once we are done ?

In GNUmed we will store all our data in a PostgreSQL Database.
So this letter should once done be saved into the database or at least a link
to the file supplied to GNUMed. Does AbiWord give any feedback on this ?

Sometimes when we write letters we don't have all the details yet. So we start
a letter fill it with what we got and save it. Later we will return and fill
in the rest. We would need some sort of revision control ?

Any ideas ? Am I expecting too much ? Can it be done?
Remember it is not about being done tomorrow.

Regards,
Sebastian