Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:20:30 +0100 (MET)

> Today something happened that never should have.
> Large pieces of code were moved into the main trunk without informing the
> project admins and/or this list.
The worst thing with these changes were that it did not just add code but
change existing code, thereby reverting meaningful patches that had done
before.
> This is an absolute no no.
I guess we all agree with that.

> 1.) start your work in test-area
> 2.) from now on all patches should be peer reviewed before comitting to
> CVS
who will do this review ? and when ? to which files ? my own code ? other's
code ?
> 3.) unreviewed patches will not make it into CVS (main trunk)
I personally do not have any problem with somebody fixing bugs or even
adding features to my code. The only thing I do not like is if somebody changes
code that breaks functionality.
> 4.) comment your code ( and I mean comment everything even if it might
> seem
> stupid to you !!!! )
> 5.) uncommented code (new files etc. ) will not make it into CVS
> 6.) submit early and often / announce changes to the list
> 7.) be aware that huge patches will most likely be ignored by peer
> reviewers
> unless they agree with it
> 8.) do not mix tabs and spaces when indenting ( tabs are preferred )
> 9.) never commit files you did not change
> 10.) add commit comments to each file you commit !!!
> 11.) take  a close look at what code is already there, use existing code
> whenever possible, enhance existing code whenever necessary
> 12.) wanna code your own client ? That's perfectly fine . Please stick to
> test-area for that
I feel that most of the rules makes sense - except those suggesting that we
should have a peer review process.
The reason I don't believe that this well help is that a) there are not
enough developers/reviewers available and b)
the codebase is not at all stable, so that we would have to review a large
number of patches. IMHO this review happens already: I for my part always look
at the changes others made to my code and to code that might be important
for the parts I coded. I believe that others do the same (Karsten usually
cleaned up and fixed the changes I did in his code, I hope he wasn't t
too embarassed that I changed it without previous review).
IMO the most important rule is that you have to think before commiting.
Code, test, retest, make sure you did not introduce new bugs, if unsure contact
the author of that code or admininistator.

Regards, Hilmar