Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)re: reverting

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)re: reverting
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:56:59 +0100

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 02:47, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > I have a guess here. When one moves files from the main trunk to
> > test-area/foo and commits there , revisions start at 1.1 again. Once you
> > move it back it probably continues with previous version in main trunk
> > +1. I have seen this
>
> What you describe accounts for downgrades from x.y to 1.1
> versions. It does not explain any *upward* gaps in the sequence,
> though. That could rather be explained by hand-editing the
> commit history, or perhaps by committing to more than one
> repository (as David suggested).
>
> Karsten
I guess you are right. Looking at some of the files it should have been
1.34-1.35->|mv|->1.1->1.2-> |mv| -> 1.3

I never liked the startover in versioning. Makes questions like which revision
do you use quite pointless when you silently assume you are talking about a
file in the same  CVS location. But if for some reason the file was moved and
later moved back the one with the lower numer is actually newer. Worse if the
startover happened multiple times.

I do not know nothing about concepts so my feeling might be stupid from a
technical point of view.

Sebastian