[Gnumed-devel] Re: address@hidden: Immunisation edit area question]

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: address@hidden: Immunisation edit area question]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:44:09 +1100

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 05:03 am, you wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
> -----
>
> > Richard,
> >
> > in the backend we have defined "vaccination events" for given
> > schedules such that we can say "vacc N is due at that time".
> > Now, your edit area does not contain a field to allow
> > selection of the vaccination event a particular vaccination is
> > meant to represent (say, the 2nd of the 3 basic
> > immunisation shots for tetanus).
> >
> > How are we to handle this ? Do we just assume that whenever we
> > enter a new vaccination we mean the one that comes next

This is just what I did, with a popup reminder message a la png attatched.
I've found this works simply and well, one can tell what the overall vaccine
status is from the lists, and the system can analyse what is missing from the
database.

However there are other solutions, depending on what the group wants. For
example the editing area could contain an extra line for the sequence number
in a primary vaccine + a check box if it was a booster.

There is of course a much more difficult problem, that of recording which
vaccines have already taken place, but that you didn't personally give.

 In the ideal world, in the future when everyone world wide is using gnuMed we
would of course import that data!. If not we need to decide what to do. At
one stage I took the approach of, rather than having to manually type in all
the vaccines for say the last 5 years of the childs life, having a wizard
button, which worked out what the child should have had, and generating a
list of approximate dates. This is easy to do, but obviously not accurate, so
I suspect Horst et al would not accept this, even if the dates were marked as
approximate.

We need some debate on this because it is important.