Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:09:05 -0500

I'm willing to take on the task of deciding which one to use. If I feel I can implement it and get it going I'll ask Horst about server details. I know I can set up twiki, because I've done it before. But I just don't know if it is the best.

I found MoinMoin, a python-based wiki. It might be fitting to use it since gnumed is python-based. At least it seems to be popular with the python crowd. See: http://twistedmatrix.com/wiki/python/FrontPage and http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/

I saw this: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/ianb/wiki/, but I have no idea what to do with it. I have no idea what reST is either. If someone wants to enlighten me on this, please do.

Do we really need portability to docbook right now? How about use any old wiki, whatever is deemed best, and then once the documentation becomes more mature, port it to whatever else, stick it in CVS and work from there. OR, just leave it in wiki forever. Any thoughts about this? Two questions:

What is the main idea behind using a wiki (for gnumed)?
And what is the main point behind using docbook (for gnumed docs)?

I have my own answer for this, but I'm curious what a few other people think. I just want to clarify to help in choosing a wiki implementation.

Dave

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

I like what I read. I don't know anything about wikis so I think you should decide which one to use. Are you willing to take on this project ?
Once you made a decision please contact Horst
to sort out the details with the server.

--
David J. Grant
Masters Candidate