Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:15:11 +0100

Hi Tony,

On Monday 15 December 2003 21:35, Tony Lembke wrote:
> With regard to the gnumed.org -
>
> The whole site is actually all set up as a wiki. The little boxes in
> the bottom left are the 'hotspots' that allow direct page editing. The
> system is very easy and flexible and there are a number of themes as
> well as being able to customise any colour scheme or layout desired -
> so I'm comfortable with the orange colour being replaced. The usability
> and content are more important.
Absolutely correct. I admit I have not looked at gnumed.org carefully enough.
What is the magic behind the layout ? What is the best way to change it ?

> As offerred before, anyone who wants a password can just ask me. I
> would be most happy for anyone to contribute by editing or adding
> pages, and some people have been.
> We are getting about 2500 visitors a week.
> The user manual is already linked in from cvs in the section
> 'Documentation' - however the savannah servers are currently down.
What I would like to see conceptually is a separation of developers
information from enduser information. This starts with the navigation menu.

        News

        Mailing Lists

        FAQs

        Screenshots

        Resources

        CVS

        Development

        Forums

        Documentation

        Progress

Could we reorder this a bit ?

        News

        Development

        * Mailing Lists

        * CVS

        * Progress

        Documentation

        * FAQs

        * Screenshots

        * Resources

        Forums

> conf.de would be most welcome.
You are right. I will write one up.

> My experience has been that we are not yet at a state of play to make
> 'downloads' workable from the site rather than from cvs, but if I am
> out of date in this area please let me know.
No. I meant downloads such as conference papers but this most likely fits into
resources. Still , there are some files such as device-drivers, xdt-viewer
packages and the like.

> I have had trouble making the cvsmonitor automatically update from
> cron. I need to run a cronf command as 'nobody' and that doesn't seem
> to get up. Any suggestions? It is working well manually and I think is
> a worthwhile addition to the site.
Absolutely . I use it very often.

I dislike the design of the forums. Many people like me are used to forums
like http://www.vondoczudoc.n-bay.de/docforum/index.php

 Regards,

Sebastian Hilbert