[Gnumed-devel] Re: dependency problem in test_data.conf (still trying to

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: dependency problem in test_data.conf (still trying to bootstrap)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:27:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Michael Bonert wrote:

> You're right in bashing the security settings... and I have a fairly good
> memory you rightly critized me on it before.  The reason I did it is
> laziness/lack of time.
So why did you wrote an install guide for Debian if there are packages to
use for the people who are lazy? ;-)

> I haven't as of yet found a description to of how
> I ought to set things up--it isn't covered in the install guide.
So the simple advice is: Replace the paragraphs of your guide to use the
packages.  This might shorten your time to write and the time for users
to install - at least this was the purpose why I builded these packages.

> I didn't want to think... so I made it open and figured that is a
> loose-end I can tie up later... if I can actually bootstrap sucessfully.
As I said: Just try the packages first, upgrade later to CVS.  IMHO this should
be the smoothest path to a reasonable installation (but I might be wrong).

> About Debian:
> Is there an issue with latest postgresql version on unstable?
I have to admit that databases are such a serious issue that I do not
use the version in unstable if I do not have a *very* good reason to
do so.  I know from the mailing list that a major rewrite of packaging
stuff was done to enable running different versions of PostgreSQL on
the same machine.  This is not yet tested very much.  Moreover before
I would install such an important package I would check

     http://bugs.debian.org/<packagename>

for RC bugs.  There is one serious bug stated and you might read the
discussion of this and decide whether you might be able to cope with this
issue.

> Other problem (solved I think):
> I had problems updating the gnumed files... for some unknown reason (I
> noticed some files were missing).
> Solution I just threw-out the whole (gnumed) directory and did:
>
> $ cvs -z3 address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnumed co gnumed
>
> Anyone have an idea whether this is indicative of a larger problem?
> Has anyone else has a similar problem?
I can't comment on this.  I have a different problem: Your description for
checking out CVS contained upload of SSH-key for people who have a savannah
account.  I do not have any account and currently see no relevance to
create one.  Unfortunately annonymus CVS does not (yet) seem to work
again.  Or did I missed something?

Kind regards

         Andreas.