Re: [Gnumed-devel] vaccinations widget, once more

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] vaccinations widget, once more
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:03:25 +1100

Ah,,, making progress! Great.

I was able to pull up the vaccine list finally, even the * wildcard works!

A few comments.

Remember the whole philosophy of the editing area is to make like quick and
easy - ie auto-completion is the order of the day. The following is
predicated on the 'most usual' way we would be using the editing area - ie
seeing the patient in front of us at the time of data entry (which is how it
is in fact used most of the time).

Now that the vaccine can be selected, the follow sequence should automatically
ensue:

As soon as the use hits <enter> to select the vaccine (or if they want to be
slow clicks with the mouse):

1) Today's date is autofilled in in the date field
2) The database fills in the last used serial number for the vaccine (you
should have loaded that in on vaccine name selection anyway) or if none
exists sets the cursor to the serial number line.
3) If serial number existed, then the most likely site of injection is
auto-filled in on the site line (or at least the start text eg imi or
subcutaneous or oral, with the cursor then set to the next to one space after
these words. Hopefully as things progress the most commonly used site for
this type of injection for the particular doctor using the program will be
autofilled
4) If all the above are auto-filled then the focus is then auto-set to the ok
button ready to accept the data.

What doesn't happen yet:

a) Clicking the ok Button does not drop the data into the lists
b) Clicking the ok button should clear the editing area
c) Note that the clear button does clear the vaccine and the serial number
text boxes, but not the date or the site injected text boxes.

I know you say you are going to move on, but I'd encourage you to complete
these features before moving on - then at least we would have one editing
area nearing visual functionality. If you get the feeling for the proper
functioning of one editing area then implementing the others will be easier.

Plus:: if you make all these auto-completion features work - the you will
start to see the beauty and grace of the editing area concept and just how
much it will speed up your day to day work.

Regards

Richard