Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:34:03 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I'm not sure why Hilmar mentioned "install python at the very beginning". Why is gnumed even concerned with installing python? The gnumed install should not work if python is not installed/detected.
I certainly agree with this assessment.

I agree NSIS is good. But I think most of the work should be done by distutils and NSIS should just call "python setup.py" or whatever. I'm not an expert on this BTW.
ACK. However, "GnuMed" is not a "Python program". It is an
application package consisting of - among other things -
Python scripts. python setup.py isn't suitable.

Please elaborate. I looked at the source and it looks like there are a bunch of python scripts which talk to the database on the server side, and the current client seems to be the python/wxPython one. What else is in there, which isn't Python? I think usually this is still easily handled by the main setup.py script, if there are other binaries or files to be installed.

One final suggestion: don't use environment variables such as PYTHONPATH to tell gnumed where to find modules.
I don't get this. All modules (like wxPython) should be in site-packages, so any python program should find them fine.
ACK.

When looking at the gnumed prerequisites, I don't see any of them being anywhere except for in site-packages. So python finds them fine.