Re: [Gnumed-devel] design queries

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] design queries
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:14:15 +1100

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:00:00 +1100
sjtan <address@hidden> wrote:

> - why is pyPgSQL a preferred dbapi module? why can't you just
> use a dbapi that comes with python?
It isn't. The script will search for one of pyPgSQL,  psycopg and pgdb.
> - why can't the backend installation be a script that "cat"s the
> sql scripts in the preferred order into a monolithic script file,
> createdb and then psql -f monolithic.sql.file ?
The scripts use postgresql introspection to autogenerate triggers
for referential integrity, and backend database auditing: they
need to talk to a 'live' database while they are doing this.

I am currently working on an extension to autodetect postgres connection
parameters, hopefully the installation script will be very easy to use.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E