Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Packages

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Packages
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:10:35 -0500

Ian Haywood wrote:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:33:29AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Aha ! Not a bad thought :-))

*Then* $GNUMED_DIR isn't even needed anymore ...  Simply start
the client with
--conf-file=/my/strange/path/to/gnumed.conf
and you are set.
I like that. Less options achieving the same end.
What do other people think ?
I agree.
My only nitpick is the chicken-and-egg scenario: we need gmCfg to
read the config file, we need the config file to find gmCfg....
Solutions:
                - inline the code into gnumed.py (~200 lines)
                - use Python's own ConfigParser class.

We still haven't resolved the default install location issue.
I vote for /usr/share/gnumed/, mainly because that's Debian policy, and escapes Python upgrade traumas.

Just using 'setup.py install' with the --prefix options will put gnumed anywhere you want it to be. My setup.py still isn't correct. I need to fix it so that it is far less hardwired, and more flexible for the maintainer to do what he wants. It should be possible to put the scripts anywhere, even /opt if someone so desires, or in their home_dir (if you have no root access on a certain PC), or /usr/share/local, or whatever.

About the debian packages, I forget why was some of the *.py files going into site-packages and some of it in /usr/share?

How can putting things in /usr/share be official debian policy? I can see /usr/lib/gnumed but not /usr/share, according to the FHS.

David

--
David J. Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate in Electrical Engineering