Re: [Gnumed-devel] re timezones

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re timezones
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:32:27 -0700

On Apr 8, 2004, at 9:33 PM, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 03:17, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
...gmPG sets the default client time zone upon connection creation.

...PG optionally stores timestamps with a time zone qualifier

...input ...submit local time ...converted to UTC for storage.

...what about:

2003/24/08 13:45   Kirk involved in traffic accident, oversaw
                   elderly pedestrian at Fourth Street, Melbourne

Now, where's the problem ? Well, 13:45 is *my* CEST local
time. However, the accident happened some 12 hours earlier, at
1:45am AU local time ! The time displayed in my client will
never hint me into thinking of checking night vision on Kirk. He
may have selective blindness/tunnel vision at night.

So Captain Kirk rammed his space ship into a pedestrian at 0045 hrs Melbourne time because he was drunk or his cataracts messup his night vision - but the computer doesn't timestamp this at the time of incident; it timestamps it
when I make the note about it.

By timestamp I assume we refer to capture and writing of the server date and time, per its "system clock" (or else the date & time of the client machine). If so, then through timestamp

- PG will capture the date & time of any RECORD's creation (or modification) - such a timestamp will only accurately depict a clinical event when the client was in use during the event
- dates & times of clinical events will otherwise be captured as either:
--- free text (in which the event location ought to be captured hence addressing the ambiguity) or as
--- a user-coded date & time

I can imagine inputting a clinical event's actual date (where known) into a date field, such as the date on which an illness began or on which a hospitalization occurred or a procedure was performed, but I might only in special cases code a time into a time field --- maybe birth and death and in billing, wherein the start and end times of a service may have to be specified. I may also enjoy a premium (surcharge) for services performed after hours. For all of these, the time zone occupied by the patient at the time of the event occurred (or the service was delivered) is the one to capture and would always be local except where the patient had moved across time zones.

Suppose in the latter case an Australian patient holidays to Honolulu and, on their last day (with insurance expiring), receives care recorded in Gnumed as having been given April 9 at 4pm (though this would be 12:30pm April 10 on Lord Howe Island, Australia). Six hours later, the patient boards a 12-hour "red eye" flight to Australia, and arrives at what is now 6:30 am on April 11 in Australia and a few hours later sees his GP who, for the sake of argument, can access the Honolulu Gnumed record. The GP will either see that the care, viewed relative to the point of delivery, had been given April 9 ("looks like 2 days ago") or else April 10 ("looks like yesterday"). If a resolution of this were important, I might like to view it from the context in which it was delivered i.e. to be told/shown the date/time according to the time zone in which the event occurred, but also to have it expressed as # days / hours ago.