Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:13:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 04:10:00PM +0200, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> I agree that there is some duplication regarding description. I disagree as
> to put the data in sql schema files. IMHO changing default options is
> something that should not be too hard even for the unexperienced admin/user.
>
> Hacking SQL files is definitely more difficult than changing a textfile. In
> general I tend to believe that data that is not static and might be subject
> to changes by the user/admin should not be set from withing SQL files.

There is a difference between config names and descriptions (which are fixed,
if you change this, you need to change the client code anyway, users/admins who
do this are now hackers and should be able to use SQL as we do now)
and default values (which true they may want to change), but aren't these
accessible through the GUI module?

Anyway, I'm happy to add this capability to the bootstrapper.

Ian