Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Lab data support in OSCAR

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Lab data support in OSCAR
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 03:01:49 +0200

> For local Vancouver BC lab data and HL7, I am advised
>
> >The local HL7 data is actually acquired via a "Web Service", and is
> >downloaded
> >directly into the database.  There aren't really any "files" involved,
> >just database tables (7, to be exact).
It so appears that they have an importer running that does
both jobs: fetch the data AND import it. Now, technically
either way is possible:

- re-use the downloading half of their script but dump the
  data to files
- use a mysql database or matching tables in a PostgreSQL
  database as a staging area for the incoming data from which
  to populate the GnuMed tables
- write a web service downloader from scratch and import what
  we download

> > One way to maintain compatibiliy
> >between the OSCAR lab module and any such future
> > module for GnuMED
well, there's no such thing as "any such future module for
GnuMed" but rather the current GnuMed lab functionality

> > would be to use the same database structure for the GnuMED
> > lab system, were one to be developed.
It already IS developed, especially on the backend/schema side
of things were the OSCAR structure pretty much pales in
comparison. OTOH they are deployed so it apparently serves
their needs.

> Well, I rather doubt we are looking at mirrored table structures but
> certainly if numed''s tables are generalized they should be able to
> accomodate the content?
Absolutely. One thing we don't have is some of linkage between
patient/provider/lab routing. We may have it, though, (in
lab_request) but I am unable to tell due to a lack of
understanding what is intended with those tables.

> Shall I ask to be sent a copy of the OSCAR
> (MySQL) tables or their table structures, and should I ask for a copy
> of the source code and comments to their HL7 module (I think it might
> be in Java)?
No need to trouble asking. Simply download their stuff. It's
open source, after all, and that's good.

> I have not yet tried to use PostgreSQL Autodoc (in fact I did not yet
> fully get GnuMed running yet) but will as soon as I get a chance see if
> I can get a handle on some of the PG table structures.
Ask any time.

> That is besides
> working gradually on reworking gnumed.org which has already begun.
Good.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net