[Gnumed-devel] clarifying code contribution guidelines

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] clarifying code contribution guidelines
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:11:29 -0700

On a posting a while ago Horst wrote:

   if you have a good idea and it works for you at home, please
      * dump the database
* pack the dump together with *all* dependent scripts into a tar file so that we can test it in isolation without having to modify the code too much

Is the above intended for situations other than CVS check-in, for example if the contributor did not have write access or was uncomfortable checking-in, or does it cover some other scenario or purpose, or is the above guidance compatible with CVS?

Also I think it was Karsten who had written:

If making changes that are to go into the main trunk, test them before checking in, update the public database, and announce them on the mailing list

Just wondering which is the "public" database? Is there a 'primary" database perhaps downloaded as part of CVS, and is it a CVS copy in a particular directory that gets updated through some special method other than check-in?