Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed governance junta plus development guidelines

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed governance junta plus development guidelines
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:50:50 +0200

> I am still learning how / where to extract additional educational
> information from gnumed itself. Thanks to the epydoc extract that
> Hilmar sent me, I will be able to inspect whether the python code
> itself contains commenting that informs about how things ought to be
> done more generally --- unless anyone already knows the answer to be
> probably no, that the comments just say what is being done and little
> that would relate to a generalizable strategy or guideline. In the
> latter event, I would get to it eventually only to learn more about the
> code.
It's a mixture of both. Usually inline comments say what is
being done, sometines why or why not. OTOH, the docstrings often
tell the strategy of a method or module. I always try to use
precise speaking variable/constant/method names such that the
intent of the code should be apparent from reading it so that
some sort of goal-reaching strategy might be derived from
that. However, this *can* be misleading in debugging since,
well, the code states the INTENT of itself but may do
something subtly different, eg contain a bug.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net