[Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed? (Modified by Jim Busser)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:13:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> If you can't deal with the horrors of installing woody from 6 discs you
> just
Try to find a fast connection and go with the Sarge net installer.
I have not done a CDROM install for years and it really must be a pain.

> download one of the three selfinstalling subversions
> Knoppix
I tried Knoppix for the box of my father and I had to fight some really
nasty bugs if you create more users.  I'm not sure whether they are fixed
now (at least the people who wrote the installer where happy that I was
able to find the problem).  But a Live-CD is intended to work from CD as
the name says and a installer installs a real distribution.  I'm not convinced
that this is really the best choice.

> Morphix
Same as for Knoppix here - even if I do not know it personally.

> Mepis
> (I'm more than a little partial to Mepis)
Might be an option

       Andreas.