Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:09:46 +0200

> In any case: the vast majority of queries should return in a fraction of a
> second. Initial loading of a patient's data into the GUI should never take
> more than 5 seconds as a hard limit. Else, who would use gnumed?
Surely, I am not trying to talk away the performance problems.
I am just looking for the low-hanging fruit first suspecting
that that'll give us plenty of performance gains:

- aggregating one-by-one value object queries into bulk retrieval
- proper indexing/rewriting of slow queries
- proper database tuning
- "local" database server (eg LAN)

If *those* don't get us anywhere near the necessary
performance we really do have a conceptual problem (which,
btw, I would like to start tackle by looking at your
uncommented, unadorned, "unclean" but assuredly fast in-house
GnuMed next generation code that I can download from
http://somewhere.com/horst-sein-tarball.gz).

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net