[Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X easy install

From: Dominique Buenzli
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X easy install
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:49:34 +0200

Hello !

Ok here is the thing...
http://homepage.mac.com/dobunzli/gnumed/
Credits goes also to my brother, Daniel, who made this possible...

Of course it is not perfect (specially the client and server install).
If you don't have a Mac, you can always have a snapshot of it by downloading the"Installation screenshots.pdf" which reflects the client only install process, "ReadMe.html" and "Notes.rtf".

Comments are welcome...

If it comes out that this is a good solution for Mac Users, I think that the User/Tester should have the choice between installing things system-wide as mentioned in Gnumed User Manual or using this "easy install".

For each platform, an installer that would simply
a) check if Python is to be found on the target client or server machine and resolve any deficiency, and then
b) install a Python app or script to complete the installation

I pretty much agree that the best would be a a cross-plateform installer for gnumed in python.
Unfortunately this exceeds the skills I have about computers.... so sorry for that.

I am not sure
whether to install in a separate step onto the same machine will create
problems for example if python etc already exist on that machine.
Precisely one of the points against the
dump-everything-onto-one-large-pile strategy of installing.

Python already exists in Mac OS X. But this remark could concern wxpython.
As far as I know there will be no problems if another wxpython version is installed system-wide.
The script contained in GnumedLauncher.app is defining where the version of wxpython gnumed has to use.
I will still ask my brother who helped me doing that as he knows much better about all this...

4.) download and install missing programs
We only need that on MS Windows. GNU/Linux packages have their own mechanisms
of taking care of dependencies. What about the Mac ? Any dependency handling
or is this up to the installer ?
It seems that on Mac it boils down to the old DOS-style
all-in-one binary drop-in dog-pile.

Yes surely old style but so much convenient to keep a system clean... and certainly more powerfull than DOS !!
Core of Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD...
If you need more infos about Macs you can have a look here...
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/

I will leave one week in holidays (Italy) so sorry if I don't respond to mail immediately.
Dominique