Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:55:01 +1000

On Friday 10 September 2004 21:09, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I was referring to, say, this:
>
> - HepAB base immunization requires 3 shots in adults
> - someone was given 2 out of 3 in due course
>
> Are those two injections still valid when the patient comes
> back for the 3rd shot after:
>
> - 1 year (yes)
> - 3 years (probably)
> - 5 years (?)
> - 10 years (probably not)
> - 25 years (well ?)
>
> What about if that patient only had 1 out of the 3 shots in
> the first place ?

Hep B isn't the best example for this, as the memory for this is permanent
regardless of the time involved (humoral?)
I recall that 50% of persons are immune after one shot; about 90% after two
shots and 95% have immunity after three shots.
While the detectable HepB SAb (surface antibody) declines with time, the
person's humoral immunity doesn't.
Tetanus is now believed to be three shots any time provides basic immunity
but the time course involved here could be important.
Liz

--
"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by people
who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried anything."