Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] basic test types
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 08:42:35 +1000

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 23:11, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > while I am on the subject of the table test_type I will point out a
> > concern over basic_unit which, within the same lab organization and
> > for the same LOINC coded test, can change over time --- say from mg/L
> > to g/L or from an absolute measurement to a percent - for a
> > discussion of how the problem can affect an EMR see
> > http://emruser.typepad.com/canadianemr/2004/07/changes_in_lab_.html
>
> Well, clearly an example of "stupid" software interpreting the
> incoming values as one of the commenters noted. We are trying
> to avoid such things where we can which is why GnuMed is
> evolving so slowly. Our (partial) answer to that problem is
> exactly the basic_unit in test_type.
>
> Karsten
Another reason for using standardised units of measure. SI units have made it
into Australia for everything except the blood pressure and linear units of
measure now, with centimetres still in use for height. (oddly, my spouse,
trained in the building industry, doesn't comprehend a centimetre, only mm
and metre.)
Liz
--
Peanut Blossoms

4 cups sugar           16 tbsp. milk
4 cups brown sugar     4 tsp. vanilla
4 cups shortening      14 cups flour
8 eggs                 4 tsp. soda
4 cups peanut butter   4 tsp. salt

Shape dough into balls.  Roll in sugar and bake on ungreased cookie
sheet at 375 F. for 10-12 minutes.  Immediately top each cookie with a
Hershey's kiss or star pressing down firmly to crack cookie.  Makes a
heck of a lot.