Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...

From: Alessandro Amici
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:15:23 +0100

Andreas,

On Friday 05 November 2004 07:31, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Alessandro Amici wrote:
> > ok, other things i hit (in random order):
> > - bootstrap-gm_db_system want the conf into /etc not /etc/gnumed
> > - bootstrap-gm_db_system.conf needs the service 'reference'
>
> General statement regarding to the server packages: Currently a new policy
> about database applications in Debian is in preparation.  Thus I will wait
> for some days to let this settle down to be able to follow these
> guidelines.

fine, in the mean while i used the redo-*.sh scripts (more or less).

> > - /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf looks for the local db 'gnumed', should be
> > 'gnumed-test'
>
> Fixed (at least at my local disc - will be published later today).
>
> > - /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf by defaults connects to an outside server (!!)
>
> This is intentionally because the local server does not yet work.  There
> are problems in the connection I have to track down in the next couple of
> days.

you need to warn the users about that. it is a completely unexpected behavior
for a debian package (i don't say it's wrong).

> > - on a fresh postgres install the pg_hba.conf modifications didn't work
> > for me. i needed to set 'local all all trust' (mm... not sure if this is
> > really independent by the gnumed-gnumed-test problem)
>
> We should take this very serious.  Could you please describe in detail what
> did not work.  Please try to start from an unchanged
> /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and report what happens after installing the
> server package.  I observed the very strange effect that installing the
> server package the first time it hangs when installing the database.  YOu
> have to press <Ctrl-C> to stop this. The postgresql log shows something
> like
>
>     >>Password<<-Authentification of user >>gm-dbowner<< failed
>
> strangely enough if you try the next "dpkg -i gnumed-server*.deb" it works
> perfectly.  I have to track down this.

i can't help you right now, but i recall some strange games happening.
different parts of gnumed use 'net' and 'local' connections to the db, so
that you need duplicate entries.

> > - test accounts are not uploaded during bootstrap
> > - the any-doc user does not exists even after 'psql gnumed-test <
> > gmTestAccounts.sql'
>
> I have to check this.
>
> > and i still cannot log in :-/. error is:
> >
> > 2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
> > (/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
> > query >>>select name from distributed_db<<< with args

> > 2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
> > (/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
> > exception type : libpq.OperationalError
> > 2004-10-25 16:09:25 [WARN]
> > (/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py:address@hidden):
> > exception value: ERROR:  permission denied for relati
> > on distributed_db
> > 2004-10-25 16:09:25 [ERROR]
> > (/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Gnumed/wxpython/gmGuiHelpers.py:gm_show
> >address@hidden): Unable to connect to database:  cannot loa
> > d service names from configuration database  Please retry or cancel !
>
> Karsten mentioned to solve this kind of problems by using the redo-*.sh
> scripts.

it worked.

> I wonder if what should be the best approach here.
>    1) Use bootstrap-* for the first install and redo-* if you recognize a
>       formaerly installed system?
>    2) Use redo-* in any case
>
> Furthermore I overworked the packaging in this way that it now should be
> possible without any problem to obtain the CVS tree and just copy the
> debian directory which is avialable at
>
>      http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/gnumed/
>
> inside this tree.  It should also cope with renamed or newly created files
> in the source tree.

i'll have a look at the package in the next few days. thanks!
alessandro