[Gnumed-devel] ?Master .xls file needed for opinions on SOAP

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] ?Master .xls file needed for opinions on SOAP
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:42:36 +1100

It has occurred to me with the ongoing data-input debate that we really should
have a spreadsheet with columns for each developer and summary of each of the
potential SOAP etc lines so we can fully understand the needs we all have.
Jim seems to be good at synthesizing stuff - I wonder if perhaps he could do
this? Personally I find it impossible to keep in my mind all the different
threads that have gone before.

eg: cols: Richard|Karsten|Ian|Carlos|Jim|Liz| etc
rows: Subjective
         Objective
        Assessment
        Plan
        Patient History
        Doctor History
        Clinical Findings
        Assessment
        Plan
        RFE
        Consultation Summary
        etc etc

We could pass it round and fill in, or perhaps just send summary of each to
Jim for sythesis.

It seems to be there is some intransigence on some parties parts - politically
I can't remember who, but I seem to remember statements like 'I won't
compromise on that...' - methinks it was perhaps Karsten, but I'm not sure.
Whoever it was - could you explain why compromise is not possible for you.

Also This whole process yet again shows me the severe flaws in back-end
database design before an accepted functionality has been reached. There have
been comments such as 'would require a major database re-design in that area'
or to use lawyer parlance 'or words to that effect'.

It may be that yet again the have different per-country requirements which are
insurmountable. Karsten - I wonder from reading some of your stuff - is part
of it that if you don't stick to the proposed skeletal SOAP lines, that you
can't import data from existing german medical records systems?

There are other considerations such as research considerations, where
splitting up to lines greater than the SOAP number could be usefull (eg
Patient History) in looking at issues in general practice which could later
lead to research to investigate an hypothysis.

Anyway, I think we need to continue to thrash this debate to death until we
come up with something that works and is acceptable to the majority of us.

I've come up against more difficults even with my current schema as I continue
to use it day by day, and I will elaborate on that later today/tomorrow.

Regards