[Gnumed-devel] Re: twiki and moin moin

From: David Grant
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: twiki and moin moin
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:31:31 -0800

damn, I sent this to the wrong mailing list. I was supposed to go to gnumed-devel not gnucash-devel.... Sorry about that.

David Grant wrote:

I just scanned through the posts about moin moin vs. twiki. Functionally they are probably both similar. I'm guessing twiki has more plugins though. Looks-wise I always thought twiki looked a bit messy/noisy but that can be fixed by anyone who knows HTML and CSS, or perhaps by installing a new template.

The major disadvantage of switching away from twiki, is as Jim and Karsten were talking about, is that the syntax is different between almost all wikis and also the links will be all screwed up. Someone said that we haven't invested in anything wiki-specific, and that's not true. Jim and others have invested a lot of time adding content, and the content is twiki-specific.

The fact that moin moin is written in python comes up sometimes but it is a moot point. No one in the gnumed project is interested in re-writing bits of code for the wiki (I hope). There are so many wiki projects out there, no need to look at the source code for any of them, or to modify it. Just find on and use it. If a wiki was written in COBOL, and if it was the best, then we should use it.