Re: [Gnumed-devel] test requests and importing, BC (CA) anticoag pilot

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] test requests and importing, BC (CA) anticoag pilot
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:15:56 +0100

> > > MediNet provided info about their uncoded ASCII reports (see below)
> >> and are mailing me their paper HL7 documentation. While I await what
> >> type of server-based connection they might enable, I am thinking to
> >> download their Windows-only visual basic client for the clinic.
> >If that client can save to files on the hard drive that
> >alleviates the immediate need to write our own client. Just
> >dump the files to disk and run the GnuMed importer on them.
>
> It would require that I put in place a Windows machine (the client is
> Windows-only).
It might suffice to run some sort of Windows emulator on a
Linux box. This might eventually even be scripted to run
unattended writing to ...

> In order to position the saved files in order that the
> server can use them, would it be recommended to:
... a directory on the host linux file system.

> If as a result you have an EMR depending on a Windows desktop machine
> to keep running, is it a bad idea to have office personnel using that
> machine i.e.  the desktop should be dedicated to serve the server?
Alternatively one could use a lowly scrap machine to get this
done. It might be so slow office staff isn't tempted to (ab)
use it ;-)

> And is the proper *long-term* solution to get a client written, so
> that one's gnumed server can get the files?
Surely, that's the "nice" solution ...  We need to be
pragmatic, too, however.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net