Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui - not just a pretty face

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui - not just a pretty face
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:52:35 +0100 (MET)

> there have been statements made about gui design and no linking code, some
> were obviously made late at night when tired.
yes and no.

> the gui is not just a pretty design; it is an ergonomic work system which
> richard has developed over years.
Absolutely. I have expressed that many times. There is no doubt about that.
For me there never was.

> here in Au we are familiar with computerised work flows (for me about 10
> years
> of using other peoples') and certainly know that some things waste time
> and
> are annoying (eg pop-ups, because you can't access another part of the
> program until you deal with the pop-up)
>
> i appreciate that what you see on the demo is just a 'design' and it
> doesn't
> link into the backend - but why demand that *everyone* be *able* to write
> code?
Hmm. Maybe I do not choose my words carefully enough. After all English is
not my native language. BTW I aprreciate I anyone with better English tnan
mine undertakes the effort to correct my mistakes in the Wiki. Youy might
want to start with the page InstallGuides and work from there.

1) I do appreciate Richard's work
2) I never demanded anyone being able to code anything
3) I repeatedly *tried* to express that in *my* opinion the way Gnumed is
developped currently I don't see a way how Richard's code in its current
state (designed to show the flow not the programming elegance) can go into
*first* release of Gnumed unless
4) **someone** takes Richard's code piece by piece rewrites it and connects
it to the middleware.
5) If that someone manages to do this for all of Richard"s code/ideas before
0.1 I see no reason why it should not be part of that release.
6) other than that only pieces that have been converted and connected will
be part of 0.1
7) The world doesn't stop spinnig after 0.1

8) Richard knows all that - I really hope (I can be wrong)

Words are cheap. This whole issue we not be entertained by me any further
since like all things in life it will get worse or resolve itself.

Sebastian

*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
*

SMS bei wichtigen e-mails und Ihre Gedanken sind frei ...
Alle Infos zur SMS-Benachrichtigung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/sms