[Gnumed-devel] wells score - how to store it ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] wells score - how to store it ?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:09:23 +0100

Recently I chanced upon the Wells Score for evaluating DVT
likelihood based on history/findings. It lists a few yes/no
questions. Each positive gives 1 point. Depending on the sum
the likelihood is larger or smaller.

I was wondering (post-0.1) how we would store something like
that. There are several options:

1) A dedicated widget (like the BMI calculator) asks the
   questions, calculates the score and stores a simgle sOap
   line "Wells Score: 2 - low to medium DVT likelihood".
   Disadvantage is that a) we lose the detail information we
   gathered and b) therefore cannot reevaluate later on.

2) A dedicated table stores what the widget gathers (much like
   family history) and stores a summary narrative line (see
   above). Disadvantage: We would start accumulating lots and
   lots of similar tables for Mini Mental State, etc etc

3) We develop a generic table structure to store such things
   and place a narrative line in the notes. Disadvantage: We
   would duplicate/rewrite OIO (and our forms layer).

4) We just store one line of narrative per question item and
   type them accordingly (eg. "Wells Score Type") such that
   a narrative display can filter them out. An "untyped"
   summary line can be added. Disadvantage: for reevaluation
   we would need to *parse* the narrative lines.

5) We develop a "form" to be stored in our forms schema which
   doesn't get printed or mailed or anything. Disadvantage:
   I am not convinced this is technically sound. I do favour
   this approach. Maybe I just suffer blurred judgement.

Personally I favour 5). 3) sounds technically clean but also
sounds like duplication. Maybe 3) really is 5) ?

What do others think ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net