Re: [Gnumed-devel] __db_cache updating

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] __db_cache updating
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:36:59 +0200

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:24:22 +0200
Hilmar Berger <address@hidden> wrote:

> or that two signals were send, the first triggering the frontend update while
> the second somehow only triggered the deletion of
> self.__db_cache['episodes']. I remember that there was exactly one call to
> get_episodes after adding a health issue to a new patient (=my bug triggering
> condition).

I checked it again, there are indeed two calls to the callback after creating a
health issue in a new patient. The first deletes __db_cache and then triggers
the update of the EMR-tree widget. The second might delete episodes while the
update of episodes (triggered by the first signal) is still underway.
So, as Karsten suspected, there are concurrent signals that might interfer
because of non-locking middleware variables.
In addition, did we ascertain that updates triggered by a backend notification
check if the respective cache entries are older than what is in the database
(timestamps or similiar) ? This could reduce the amount of data we have to get
from backend.
I remeber a related discussion on this list, but I'm not quite sure if we do.

Hilmar