Re: [Gnumed-devel] looking for Horst

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] looking for Horst
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:15 +0800

Could you explain what first pre-image and second pre-image attack
is again ? It sounds like you're saying that because a hash functions
are one-way functions, that there is no feasible way to get X efficiently if
X is the message and you have Y, the hash , because there's no efficient
inverse F.  Also , the collision algorithms seem pretty trendy and
incomprehensible.
I looked up google, and the series of events seems to be:

1. Aug 2004, Chinese cryptographers brag that they have computed a
collision for a message , using a super computer, and publish a 4
page result, without explaining how they did it.

2. Oct 2004, Australian researchers, miffed that they didn't get to publish
their expertise, publish a 100 page paper outlining how they analysed
the MD5 algorithm and found certain conditions how an algorithm could
be found, but don't find the algorithm

3. March 2005, a czech researcher publishes his laptop algorithm for
collision finding, and estimates that a laptop is about 25-100 times
slower than a super computer, and that their algorithm is 10x faster
than the chinese secret algorithm

-Chinese researchers release their algorithm, after the czech researchers.

Is it correct that the messages only differ at the end of the message,
where a block of bytes that match a md5 processing boundary is appended,
and that you were saying that the brute force search by inserting
or changing random 'invisible' characters or bits in a maliciously modified
original message is as hard a problem as reverse guessing a message from a hash
?

How does this affect using a notary ? Apparently, the complaint was
that MD5 is insecure, and the court disallowed a photograph's MD5 signature
because MD5 was theoretically flawed, but also because the original MD5
signature
did not take in all the bits of the photograph for signature generation, but
just the timestamp and text attached to the photo, and that gnumed should
always include the entirety of data for hashing. Also, there was an
argument about how a postscript program was regarded as a document, and
that it switched on the final collision matching block  of bytes appended
to the program, but it contained both the real message and the altered
message anyway, and you argued that all documents should be inspectable
as source, and then someone else argued that if it was easily provable
a postscript document contained alternate messages by inspection,
legally , the signature was non-binding anyway; someone else argued that
if one could satisfy a court the intent of signing wasn't there or
signing was done under duress or false pretences , then it was also
non-binding.
 Rats, wished someone had told me that when I signed that
ratfink real estate agent's document..

On Sat Aug 13  5:58 , Tim Churches  sent: