Re: [Gnumed-devel] innovative software

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] innovative software
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:20:37 -0600

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:23:29AM +0000, Horst Herb wrote:
> It is rare to encounter truly innovative software that is truly useful at the
> same time.
>
> I haven't found a piece of software in the past 5 years where I asked myself
> after finding it how I was able to cope without it before, but today I
> stumbled across such a rare gem:
>
> http://www.tiddlywiki.com/
>
> If you don't realize why it is so unique and universally useful, you haven't
> understood what it is all about - in that case I strongly recommend that you
> take ten minutes to run through the tutorial. Else you might miss out.

That doesn't seem much different from the many other "personal desktop
wikis" out there with the exceptions:

1) It's all self contained in _one_ big file that gets loaded into the
   browser (except for images).

2) It uses solely javascript.

One thing I notice is that the snazzy javascript used to bring up the
"tiddlers" with some cool effects that become really slow when the tiddler is
larger than a few lines, especially if it has to scroll down the window to
display it.

While the portability is nice, the single-file approach would seem to only
work for small documents. For a little more space, you can include Desktop
MoinMoin with a python install on a thumb drive and get much more (you
also have to start it every time, so that makes it harder to use than
TiddlyWiki).

In any case, it's interesting.

-Roberto