Re: [Gnumed-devel] suggestions re gmDermTool

From: ihaywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] suggestions re gmDermTool
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:56:36 +0800

Quoting Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>:

> Can we make the disease search box a phrase wheel ?
sure.
> I have translated the tags to German.
Danke schön
> It would be highly useful to be able to say:
>
> tool = gmDermTool()
> save = tool.ShowModal()
> if save:
>       result = tool.get_result()
>
> emr.add_diagnosis(result['diagnosis'], result['code'])
> emr.add_narrative(result['description'])
Personally I hate modals (except for big bad errors which the user can't
ignore) as I am currently tortured by this in my current app: the programmer
saved some lines of code years ago (it's Windows 3.1-era software), so then I
waste time every day.
Point is, it's worth coming up with a general solution for non-modal popups.
Probably a case for the SOAP widget responding to a gmDispatcher event to add
notes.

However popups still need to know
which episode was active when they were instantiated (not when they issue the
event) I tried passing it through the stack but you didn't like this, I agree
it's ugly but I can't think of a better way.

> above really ought to display all diseases with > 1 (2 ?)
> matching selection ordered by #(matching selects) such as
It does order by the number of matches.
I experimented with different thresholds: I found 3 meant completely
ridiculous suggestions were eliminated.
Obviously it will be better once we have some more stuff. My digital camera
is in my desk drware, waiting...

Ian

Ian