Re: [Gnumed-devel] get something done

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] get something done
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:08:56 -0800

At 11:21 PM +0100 11/26/05, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
Spell out small projects /features
Programmers have no medical background
and will rely on your guidance and your feature request.

What do you have to do ?
1.) write a project description (200) words what you want to get done
2.) open a page in our wiki containing that description
3.) put down an outline of features for your project
4.) describe each feature in great detail, no code just descriptions,
pseudocode, links to screenshots, handdrawn user interfaces ...

Possible projects (I would guess 120 words and 90 words). Before I go to the trouble of expanding I thought I would invite comment on suitability for Sebastian's resources (students?) and strategic value for GNUmed. Replies will help me decide which (if either) to spend more time detailing.

===============================
re lab data fetching and importing

PROJECT:  Converting C# (C sharp) code to python
- identify the issues that should be expected
- provide a practical guide to go about it
- write the code
- use case:

Take C# code that has been developed for fetching and importing HL7 lab data, convert it to python, and adapt it to the GNUmed db schema and workflow. Prove function in an anticoagulation clinic.

I expect to receive (in the next 2 weeks) some code that is to supercede the java code I had shared with Syan and Karsten a few months ago. Its function had been to establish a connection with a local lab results provider and to import it into a different EMR. The original programmers were unable to update that code to work with the lab provider's new firewall configuration and hardware so rewrote the code in C#.

Separately from the code described above, a local doctor has written his own code to do lab data fetching and importing from the same provider into his own EMR and may be quite disposed to sharing it, I await some details. If it is in anything other than C# we can see what difference that would make to the (student?) interest or the feasibility of the project.

re GNUmed pushing data into a billing program

PROJECT: Develop an inter-operability model between an EMR and an e-billing service - identify how EMR clinical data can most easily be staged for transfer to a billing program - identify a data structure and workflow in EMR by which to track items that need billing - identify approach for connection, data transmission, rejection handling and signoff of items - identify the refactoring required by a billing program / service to handle such transfers
- write the code (one end or both ends)
- use case:

GNUmed (for my province of British Columbia) has a billing service interested to determine what refactoring would be required to permit the coupling of GNUmed (as an EMR that lacks billing, or at least lacks the electronic submission of billing) to his electronic claims input and submission service.