Re: [Gnumed-devel] Help needed please

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Help needed please
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 23:36:19 +0100

On Saturday 03 December 2005 23:15, Richard Terry wrote:
> I've already thought of that, but it's not just for them, I'd like to get
> the current cvs working for me as well, now that it is running in CVS.
CVS is under heavy development. Karsten is working on schema changes requested
by fellow GNUmedders so this is quite normal. Expect stabilization over the
next few days and frequently update your CVS.

The CD does contian a perfectly running version 0.1 (local client and server)
so this *is* the medium to use for demonstration purposes. It let's us show
off even more. I don't know of any commercial pratice management software
that can be demoed by running a full fledged OS off a CD. Plus you can even
connect to the GNUmed server on this CD with Windows clients.

But if your audience is not expected to get the depth of that demonstration
you can simply boot the CD in advance and demo GNUmed like that.

One little story if I may. A few days a friend of mine brought in a not so old
PC to install WIndows 98. He intended to sell it with the original OS and not
the one he had gotten from whatever source (Windows XP). Since he couldn't do
it alone he asked me to do it. Huh ? so much for everyone can install
Windows. Well since Windows98 did not provide and option to wipe the disk I
had to boot KNOPPIX to do it. But the best part is that Windows 98 didn't
have the drivers for most of the hardware !?. So I had to once again boot
KNOPPIX. GNUmed's demo CD autodetected every piece of hardare including an
additional Firewire card. I even had internet access out of the box. It took
me 4 hours to dig up those drivers from various sources since manufacturer
stopped support long ago. Once finished I asked him. Did you notice that this
CD would have solved all your troubles ? Looking at his face I realised once
more Linux on the Desktop is not around the corner. Despite having performed
better than Windows ever could the OS from Redmond is rooted do deep into
people's heads. Only a new generation of kids will we the users of anything
but Windows. Simply amazing.

What does this tell me for GNUmed ? I fear GNUmed istself won't be a
bestseller for its technology. What it takes is a bunch of salespeople who
will sell it like any other product.

Sebastian