Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS SQL files - Still errors

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS SQL files - Still errors
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:38:06 +0100

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:55:22AM +1100, Richard wrote:

> Doesn't seem to be in my config file:
>
> address@hidden data]# grep check postgresql.conf
> #checkpoint_segments = 3                # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB
> each
> #checkpoint_timeout = 300               # range 30-3600, in seconds
> #checkpoint_warning = 30                # in seconds, 0 is off
> #check_function_bodies = on
Well, it does seem to be there :-)   The commented out value
is the default, I suppose...

Try setting "check_function_bodies = off".

The theory behind this:

Previously PG only checked function syntax when first
*executing* a function. It can now check them upon
*creation* already. Previously when we had a syntax error in
one of the function pathes that never got executed (because
that error never happened) we wouldn't notice. It now checks
*all* pathes during creation of the function and thusly
discovers our previously unnoticed errors.

So: set it to OFF for getting a reasonably safe database
now. Set it back to ON to find all the lurking errors.

> Maybe there is a stuffed up postgres installation on my machine. Do you think
> I should completely remove postgres, wipe out all the postgres directories,
> and re-install?
No. You are fine. The failing bootstrapping is mine/our
fault, not PostgreSQL's.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net