Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be re

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be ready)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:55:55 +0100

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:44:59PM +0100, Hilmar Berger wrote:

>> They are fed up with vaporware. Universities produce vapoware all the
>> time.
> Sure, Universities are supposed to produce good science, not good software
> applications.
The point Sebastian is making that the universities we know
are actively making the science they produce look like the
solutions the users want. *That's* vaporware. If someone
turned out science and goes "this is science, don't be
fooled into thinking it's a product" that'd be OK. That'd be
science and not vaporware. Universities are then using the
science-looking-like-a-product to scorn non-academic
products. Anything that's not published in Nature can only
have been done wrong in one way or another. And they are
turning out people who don't know better than swarming out
and trying to radically transform real world things/projects
(which may be struggling to get something done in the field)
with academic ideas of how the world ought to move.

Precisely as I thought I had to when going from med school
to treating sick people.

> > Ask any doctor in Leipzig. They don't care sh.. about GNUmed's long term
> > goals.
> I guess the doctors do care for what Gnumed will be able to do finally.
No, they don't. Not a whit.

> They
> just want to know if right now GNUmed matches their idea (=vision) of what a
> medical software should look like.
No. They have no clue what it should look like. They don't
even have a clue what they would want were they given a
choice. They don't even have a clue that there would be a
choice would they seek for it. And for good reason. They are
treating patients. And they are thinking of their families
at night, not about software.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net