Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:16:50 +0100

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:44:41PM +0100, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> Well, not sure if I understand what you mean. Does
> 'academic ideas' refer to my suggestion of doing a proper
> design before starting to code ?
Yes and no.

Design/vision/planning/you-name-it is good. But you'll not
be on the plane when it takes off if you got caught up in
packing your backpack no matter how neat it looks.

> So, the argument of academic ideas vs. real world practice
> IMHO does not hold
Well, I can't really explain myself on this too well. I am
just a brandished child having witnessed quite a few people
from the academic world throwing their idea on me on how I
should do something. Never did anyone help me actually
getting the thing done. I spent 6 years in med school only
to discover that I was unable to treat a sick person once I
finished. OTOH my stupidity needs to be taken into account
on that, too.

> - planning usually saves time in every
> process, be it software design or packing your backpack (I
> remember you *had* a written plan for this task :) ).
Darn, this guy knows too much :-))

> OK, you are right. The majority of the doctors wont know
> what they want or need until they are playing with the
> But there is more than one such software available. How do
> doctors decide which one to choose ? Is it the price ? Does
> it depend on what other doctors use ?
Both. Price ranks higher than peer pressure.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net