Re: [Gnumed-devel] interesting read

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] interesting read
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:24:53 -0800

At 1:20 PM +0100 12/16/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2005/12/linus_on_source.html

Does the above mean that developers should be encouraged to develop and contribute anything that they want, but there still remains a legitimate value, and strategic importance, to:

- identify the "core" pieces that most people will want/need for a typical environment

- make it possible *for those who wish* to be able to "fall back" to a consistent UI (hopefully not boring)
AND

- accept all of the "crazy developer" stuff around the edges but be able to *identify* it as for-the-moment non-core, and to *track* it and, when it makes sense, to *incorporate* some of these pieces in as "variant distros"? of GNUmed, if not as core

(I think we already do this, at least to some extent, dunno if this part has to be more clearly architected or at least communicated)