Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed.conf

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed.conf
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:42:56 +0100

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:59:14PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> And the above does not explain how, when a machine is logged into a
> *machine* account, but a user like a secretary logs out of GNUmed,
> and a different user (like a doctor) logs in,
For one thing this wouldn't be a good site policy. Each user
really should have their own system level login.
Nevertheless it's possible.

> whether there is any
> other configuration (other than what sits in that machine's
> ~.gnumed/gnumed.conf) that responds to this different kind of user
Yes, the configuration options in the database.

> to determine the kind of workspace that they enter.
The workspace is determined by the config file. The client
can be started with different config files - also
concurrently. So I could have a client instance configured
for the reception area and another configured for an exam
room running side by side on the same machine. It simply
depends on which configuration file the client is started
with. $home/.gnumed/gnumed.conf is just the *default* config
file which is used in the absence of an explicit command
line option. It is also this value which determines some of
the options in the backend.

> I know there has been some discussion of this, but on the wiki we
> have only so far
>    http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/PluginFramework
> says the plugin load list configuration is by workplace not by user,
Yes, so far it is.

> just change your workplace name in gnumed.conf but does not seem
> practical to change manually each time a user changes.
No need for that. Just set up two links with different
config files in which you define the workplace you want and
click on the one you want to run.

Say, Tuesday afternoon you are doing ultrasound scans in
room A while the rest of the week you ain't doing any scans
there but rather do standard physical exam work.

So on the machine in room A you set up two entries in the
GNUmed menu under your account. You might name them "GNUmed
- Ultrasound" and "GNUmed - PE". The first is called with
--conf-file=$home/.gnumed/gm-ultrasound.conf while the
second is called with --conf-file=$home/.gnumed/gm-pe.conf.

Now, every Tuesday afternoon you startup a client instance
"GNUmed - Ultrasound". You can leave the "GNUmed - PE"
clients you started in the morning running alongside w/o
problems.

Get the drift ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net