Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on 0.2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on 0.2
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:53:31 +0200

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:18:33PM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> However you seem to be solving this 3 ways at once:
> 1- recieving NOTIFY events to reload widgets
> 2- using SELECT .. FOR UPDATE
> 3- checking xmin on UPDATE and DELETE

- 1) is unrelated to 2) and 3) and unrelated to concurrency/locking issues

- 2) select for update

  - whenever I want to make sure I can safely write to a row I must do
    "select for update" on that row
  - this will prevent other transactions from *writing* to that row
    until I release that lock by "commit"

- 3) checking XMIN

  - after my "select for update" no one else can *write* that row
    until I commit
  - therefore, the timespan between "select for update" and commit
    should be minimized
  - therefore I only "select for update" right before actually writing
  - however, the user has seen data on screen from much earlier, namely
    when the initial, simple "select" was done
  - other people might have overwritten that data in the database
    in the meantime (yes, I have seen it happen)
  - they, too, properly locked the data but the lock is released again
    because they already finished their write
  - now I want to write *my changes* to the backend
  - if no one else has locked the row I can do that *regardless*
    of *what* is actually in the database *right now*
  - that way I could overwrite other people's interim changes
    without ever knowing they existed
  - this is unacceptable
  - therefore I check XMIN before I write to the backend
  - it must be the same XMIN as when I initially read the data
  - or else someone has overwritten the data in the meantime
  - XMIN is a PostgreSQL internal "timestamp" telling me who
    last *modified* a given row
  - if XMIN changed between me reading/displaying the data and me
    wanting to save changes I *know* someone else modified it
  - at which point I need to inform the user about that fact

> Why all 3? (I'm sure there's a good reason, I just can't figure it out)
I cannot for the life of it explain it any more clearly than that.

> > That is a misconception. However, it may very well be
> > sufficient to put a wrapper around them which handles them
> > in an invisible, default way such that you don't have to
> > worry about them. As if they were not there. But they are
> > still handled. Just that you don't have any control over
> > them.
> How to encapsulate cleanly is the big issue.
I fully agree. I have up to now only been able to come up
with the encapsulation you currently see in the middleware.
Not pretty but - AFAICT - safe (yes, it has already
prevented inconsistent data from entering the database).

>>> [And the refusal to delete my old unused code is just infuriating.
>>> we're using CVS for god's sake: we can always get it back!]
>> Look at client/gmDemographicsWidgets.py again :-)
> Ok, thanks.
> The code is now very garrulous, but at least sane.
I fully agree it is garrulous !  But that's stock wxPython
code (hence I don't really agree it is sane ;-) Dabo might
make it more palatable.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net