Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping on windows

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping on windows
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:06:20 +0200

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:17:14PM +0200, Ruthard Baudach wrote:

> But - I finally had a gnumed_v5 database, pgadmin showed me all postgresql
> roles that schould be there (the whole Enterprise medical crew et al.),
> yet I cannot connect.
There are two possible causes:

1) the GNUmed users don't belong to the proper group(s) inside the database

        - they must belong to the group "gm-logins" in order to be able to
          login to any GNUmed database
        - they must belong to the group "gnumed_v5" in order to be able to
          login to the gnumed_v5 database

   Both requirements are taken care of by the bootstrapper if everything
   works as expected.

2) the Windows PG server is not configured to allow GNUmed
   users to connect

> If I'm not mistaken, Windows does not support Unix
> sockets, thus leaving the connection type "local" useless
Yes. But GNUmed does not require you to use "local".

>, and there seems
> to be no ident server in windows, thus leyving the ident method of
> authentication useless.
Yes. But GNUmed does not require you to use "local".

> I tried host 127.0.0.1/32 and installed an identd
> from dyndns.org, but was not able to connect.
One will have to configure the server to allow connections
like so (for example):

host    samegroup       +gm-logins              127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255
        md5

> Being a declared Linux fan that's no problem for me, but as GNUmed wants
> to become software for all platforms, this problem should be solved one
> day. I think, either I am mistaken, or the authentication method has to be
> changed someday.
The problem *is* solved. "All it takes" is to properly
configure PostgreSQL. We can't help it that PG is so rich in
authentication features. A client (like GNUmed) can't force
PG to use a certain authentication method, either.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net